Wat Chaiwatthanaram. It is located in Ban Pom Subdistrict, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Province. On the west shore, outside the city island, along the Chao Phraya River. Wat Chaiwattanaram is a popular tourist destination in Ayutthaya, located on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River. The Temple was built in B.E.1630 by King Prasat Thong to commemorate his mother, and its distinguishing feature is a massive center prang (Khmer-style pagoda) encircled by smaller prangs, signifying Mount Sumeru, the gods’ mountain.
Wat Chaiwatthanaram history
The king, Prasat Thong, built the temple in B.E.1630 as a testament to his mother’s residency in the area. It is named after a long-reigning and glorious era. Prince Damrong claimed it was created to commemorate Ayutthaya’s victory over Longvek. With a central prang of 35 meters and four smaller prangs. On a rectangular platform. Hidden doors with steep stairs lead to around halfway up. Eight chedi-shaped chapels surround the central platform, connected by a rectangular cross-shaped corridor (Phra Rabieng). The corridor was once roofed and opened inwards, but only the pillar foundations and the outside wall remain now. There were 120 sitting Buddha figures painted in black and gold along the wall.
The unusual shape of the eight chedi-like chapels They contained paintings on the inside and 12 reliefs on the outside showing scenes from Buddha’s life (Jataka), which must be “read” clockwise. Only pieces of painting and reliefs remain. These chedis had two sitting Buddha statues, and the four middle chedis had one large sitting Buddha statue, likewise in black and gold. Golden stars on black lacquer adorned the ceiling above the statues. The temple’s ordination hall stood outside the east corridors, near the river (Phra Ubosot). The king’s mother’s ashes were buried in two chedis north and south of the Ubosot. The temple was abandoned after the Burmese destroyed the old capital in 1767, including Wat Chai Watthanaram. Theft, the sale of ruined bricks, and the decapitation of Buddha sculptures were all prevalent. The Thai Department of Fine Arts began restoration work in 1987. It was publicized in 1992.
Wat Chaiwatthanaram Architecture
Wat Chaiwatthanaram. On the same base are the main and corner prangs. The main prang brought the early Ayutthaya pagoda form. But at Wat Chaiwatthanaram, the porch protruded considerably. A little chedi may have been affixed to the huge prang. The Chulamanee Pagoda atop Phra Sumen Mountain. A balcony with a roof surrounds the main prang. A wall of a religious space used to be gilded inside the balcony. In each of the eight directions, crematoriums were built, with Buddha images inside each one. The Ruean Kaew facade is completely lacquered and gold-gilded. The ceiling is also decorated with lacquered wood.
Phra Ubosot, outside the crematorium wall. Only the base remains. There are 12 wooden recessed chedis. Three tiers of walls encircle these ancient monuments, with little pagodas added later.
Crematorium. Surrounded by eight pagodas, the crematorium’s walls are painted with a faded Kanok leaf. The crematorium’s outside wall has 12 faded stucco images of the Buddha’s life, which were visible 20 years ago. The crematorium is a castle with 7 storeys supporting the top. The origin of the name comes from the crematorium. The Ayutthaya royal funeral concept from Mount Phra Sumen. The stucco Buddha is inside Wat Chaiwatthanaram’s cremation. A big Buddha image, Phra Phuttha Nimit Wichit Marmoli Sri Sanphet Borom Trilokanat (Phuttha Nimit). It is assumed that it was extensively renovated during King Prasat Thong’s reign.
How to travel to Wat Chaiwatthanaram
From Bangkok to Ayutthaya
– By private car from Bangkok to Phra Nakhon Si Ayuthaya There are various routes.
1. Drive through Pratunam Phra In on Highway 1 (Phahon Yothin Road). Then take Highway 32, then Highway 309 into Phra Nakhon Si Ayuthaya Province.
2. To cross the Nonthaburi or Nuan Chawee Bridges, take Highway 304 (Chaeng Watthana Road) or Highway 302 (Ngamwongwan Road). Continue on Highway 3111 until Sena District, then turn right. Take 3263 to Phra Nakhon Si Ayuthaya.
Travelers can use Google Maps to find more suitable routes.
Travel by Van.
To get to Ayutthaya, tourists can take a bus from Bangkok. The fare to Future Park Rangsit starts at 60 baht, depending on distance and pick-up spot.
Travel by train.
From Hua Lamphong Station, take the train north. Exit at Phra Nakhon Si Ayuthaya. Trains run daily from 04.20 A.M. until 10.45. P.M. Trains in the third class start at 15 baht. For further information, call 1690 or visit www.railway.co.th.
Visiting Wat Chaiwatthanaram
-Own car Wat Chaiwatthanaram is outside Ayutthaya. via the Kasattrathirat Bridge path across the Chao Phraya river. Turn left when leaving the bridge. Then continue straight for 750 meters to the temple. (The temple has a parking lot.)
-Tuk-Tuk: In Ayutthaya, tuk-tuks cost 20-40 baht per person, depending on distance. The hourly rate is roughly 200 baht.
-Grabcar, an Ayutthaya region ride-hailing system using the Grab smartphone. You can check the fare rate on the screen before calling the car to various locations. Grab is available at http://grb.to/2F9a2bx.
10 baht Thai, 50 baht foreign, or a combo ticket of 40 baht Thai/230 baht. This pass allows access to the historical park’s temples and monuments. 30 days.
Important facts to know:
Visitors should dress modestly in sleeved shirts. Dress casually. And avoid wearing too-tight garments. Also, do not destroy or ruin the old place. including climbing and violating forbidden zones. From 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., different ancient sites in Ayutthaya Historical Park will be lighted.